Wike Blasts Amaechi on Son’s Protest Safety, Questions Absence of Medical Backup

0
16

The former Transportation Minister Rotimi Amaechi’s remarks regarding his involvement in the “Occupy the National Assembly” rallies have drawn criticism from Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Amaechi and his son were among the Nigerians who demanded that the results of the 2027 election be transmitted electronically, as was previously mentioned.

Amaechi told reporters that his choice to bring his son was a reflection of his conviction that leaders have to be present at such demonstrations and stand alongside the populace rather than observe from afar.

Speaking as the keynote speaker at the 2026 Distinguished Personality Lecture Series of the Faculty of Social Sciences on Tuesday, Wike responded to Amaechi’s action by making fun of the former minister’s assertion that he brought his son, a doctor, to the demonstration in order to provide emergency care for attendees. Wike attended the event with two of his sons.

“The other day, some people went to a demonstration, and someone said, ‘I brought my son here, who is a medical doctor in case anyone falls down,'” stated Wike.

The child does not have any medical equipment with him at the moment. There isn’t an ambulance nearby in case someone passes out in the interim.

Wike also charged opposition leaders with hypocrisy, saying that people who are now demanding openness said nothing about such reforms while they were in high government positions.

“If everyone is talking about electronic transmission these days, why don’t we ask who was in charge of the last election’s lack of electronic transmission?” he asked.

“They will hear what the public has to say when they are not in office, but they will remain silent when they are.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here