Wednesday, August 19, 2026
HomeNewsPanic in Osogbo as Gunmen Allegedly Attack Adeleke’s Convoy

Panic in Osogbo as Gunmen Allegedly Attack Adeleke’s Convoy

Gunmen suspected to be assassins Wednesday launched an attack on the Osun State capital, Osogbo, and opened fire on the convoy of the state Governor, Ademola Adeleke.

The thugs, it was learnt, attacked the governor shortly after he paid a visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji and had an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.

The shooting lasted for some 12 to 15 minutes and happened shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch.

The Ataoja had received the governor after his departure from the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo where he obtained his Certificate of Return after his re-election.

An eyewitness speaking to the aforementioned platform said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oyetunji, where the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.

Read Also: Health Ministry, ICPC Strengthen Partnership to Fight Corruption

Trouble started as the meeting was winding up after the monarch had offered prayers, said the eyewitness.

Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit meant for the monarch and his wives when the shooting began, she said.

She said, “We started hearing heavy gunshots when he was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace. The attackers had arrived in a Sienna space bus not registered through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting went on for about 12 to 15 minutes before finally the convoy of the governor left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums shot at each other. Those hoodlums ran from the scene later.”

A trader near the palace, who identified himself simply as Munirat, said the assailants might have heard of Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival.

“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him,” she said. They arrived in a Sienna space bus. They broke the palace gate, the main one. They shot at the main gate of the palace but were driven back by the guards.

“We all ran off and abandoned our wares. They also engaged the governor around the Osogbo Central Mosque before they ran away toward Ita Olokan on the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

The shooting caused panic in the area, as traders and other residents were said to have deserted their businesses and ran for safety.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack when contacted.

“They are thugs, and the governor’s security pushed them back. They attacked the governor’s convoy to the palace of Ataoja. He said, “There were no casualties.”

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments