South-East: Back Tinubu or lose federal projects 2027 – Umahi

0
41

Minister of Works, David Umahi, has called on the South-East to massively support President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 general elections, warning that neglecting to do that could endanger the continuation of major federal infrastructure projects across the region.

Umahi made the comments on Wednesday during an inspection visit to ongoing federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi State.

The minister said the projects were unheard of in the South-East’s history, adding that no past government had invested so much in the region’s infrastructure.

One of the projects inspected was the ongoing Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja Superhighway, which Umahi said was one of the administration’s legacy projects.

According to him, the stretch from Ndibe Beach in Ebonyi State to the Ebonyi–Benue boundary covers a distance of about 123 kilometres and is being constructed with reinforced concrete pavement and solar-powered streetlights at an estimated cost of N454 billion.

He stated that the Federal Government had already released 50 per cent funding for the project, while approvals were being processed for the dualisation of critical sections of the route.

The minister further explained that the contract value of section two of the corridor which runs from Ebonyi – Benue boundary through Benue, Kogi and Nasarawa States to Oweto Bridge is about 178 kilometres with a contract value of N685 billion.

Although recognizing funding challenges facing contractors, Umahi held that the Federal Government remained committed to meeting its obligations.

“We have been assured by the President that all contractors owed money will be paid. “There is hardly any state in Nigeria today that does not have a construction site under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” he said.

Umahi said that communities benefiting from federal projects should reciprocate by supporting Tinubu in the next election.

Afikpo people did not vote APC last time. If they want this bridge done, I’m going to need 100 per cent of the votes. “I am not asking for 99 per cent,” he declared.

“Only federal intervention can make projects of this size happen,” he said.

Only President Bola Ahmed Tinubu can build these roads and bridges. “Past politicians used this bridge as campaign promises but this President came and started the work without making noise about it,” he added.

Umahi said the South-East had regained relevance in national politics under the current administration, citing his appointment as Minister of Works and the scale of projects spread across the region.

“We shouted marginalisation before but Today no ministry is bigger than Ministry of Works and it is being headed by an Igbo man. The President has mainstreamed the South-East into Nigerian politics, he said.

The minister called on political leaders in the region to publicly rally behind the President and sensitise residents on the administration’s achievements.

“I call on all leaders who support the President to speak out openly. Our people must hear the truth about what this administration is doing in the South-East,” he said.

Umahi said large parts of the project will be finished before the end of the year and urged South-East voters to avoid sentiment during the 2027 elections.

“This election is not a lottery. Presidency is won not by sentiments but by strategic planning. We must support the President to complete these projects and get more opportunities for the South-East,” he said.

The former governor of Ebonyi State stated that the Tinubu administration had demonstrated commitment to infrastructure, security, education, healthcare, and youth empowerment.

“We will shock the nation in Ebonyi State because we are going to give 95 per cent of our votes to President Tinubu. The last election outcome was an accident of history and it will not repeat itself,” Umahi said

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here