Friday, August 21, 2026
HomeNewsFCT Minister Predicts Broader Coalition Support for Tinubu in 2027

FCT Minister Predicts Broader Coalition Support for Tinubu in 2027

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has predicted a broader political coalition in support of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Wike made the prediction on Friday in Abuja while speaking with journalists during an inspection of major infrastructure projects across the FCT.

He was reacting to the recent meeting between President Tinubu and Osun State Governor-elect Ademola Adeleke, describing the engagement as a sign of a growing political realignment ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

According to Wike, the emerging alignment should not be viewed strictly as an opposition issue, as the country’s political landscape currently lacks a clearly defined leading opposition party.

“When you say opposition, I’ve told you I don’t know what you call opposition, as far as there is no opposition now,” he said.

Wike said Adeleke’s decision to contest the Osun governorship election on the platform of the Accord Party did not alter his membership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

He said the political engagement with the President was part of efforts to build a broader coalition of politicians supporting Tinubu, regardless of their party affiliations.

“What happened last night is a meeting to rebuild a larger Rainbow Coalition. And he (Adeleke) is supporting Mr President. He’s in a different party; I’m supporting Mr President, and I’m in a different party. So, it’s a larger Rainbow Coalition,” Wike said.

The minister predicted that more politicians would align with the president in the coming weeks.

“And the next few weeks, watch what is going to happen. You will see a larger Rainbow Coalition in this country supporting Mr President,” he said.

Wike also rejected claims by members of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) that the party and other opposition groups contributed significantly to Adeleke’s electoral victory.

“All those ADC who are talking about ‘they helped Adeleke to win’ – they just wanted to go and harvest where they never planted,” he said.

He argued that the emerging political alignment had further strengthened Tinubu’s position ahead of the 2027 election.

On the possible reactions of former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to his engagement with Adeleke, Wike said he was not concerned about their views.

He maintained that the PDP, which ordinarily should constitute the country’s main opposition party, had been weakened by internal divisions.

“Ordinarily, it should have been PDP, but because of the crisis we’ve had, and so you can’t see a formidable party that you will call the leading opposition party,” he said.

Wike said his focus was on securing victory for his political camp, adding that political contests were about winning rather than making opponents comfortable.

FCT Infrastructure Projects
Earlier, Wike said the inspection was aimed at monitoring the progress of major projects and ensuring their timely completion.

He inspected the N5 Extension in Life Camp, being constructed by Julius Berger, and expressed satisfaction with the progress of work.

The minister said the project was expected to be completed and handed over in December.

He also inspected the N1 Road project being executed by Arab Contractors and commended the quality of work, saying it was also scheduled for completion and handover in December.

Wike later inspected the IBB International Golf Club, which is undergoing rehabilitation following President Tinubu’s intervention.

He said the facility was particularly important to members of the diplomatic community, who had raised concerns over its prolonged closure.

Wike directed that the rehabilitation should be completed in time for the club to reopen in December.

He explained that Julius Berger was re-engaged for the rehabilitation because the company originally constructed the facility and was familiar with its design and standards.

The minister said physical work was expected to be completed by November, with the official reopening scheduled for December.

He said the club was closed following an internal crisis that led to the appointment of a caretaker committee headed by the President of the Court of Appeal.

Wike commended the committee for its efforts to resolve the crisis and facilitate the rehabilitation of the facility.

He, however, stressed that the government would not continue to fund the club after its reopening.

According to him, the management must generate enough revenue to finance its operations and maintenance without relying on public funds.

Wike assured that the FCT Administration would continue to facilitate payments to the contractor to ensure that the rehabilitation remained on schedule.

He reiterated that the December deadline for reopening the golf club remained unchanged.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments